Best of 2014 Moments, Memories and Musings

It's hard to believe that another 365 days have come and gone since my last "end of year post." I just went back and read my "Finding the Good in 2013" post and at the end of it I said something about feeling like the rotten of 2013 was going to carry over into 2014. Well, it sure did... in a million different ways on a zillion different levels, but upon reflecting over the last 365 days, I did find some good; I did remember some incredible moments. In all honesty, I bet I could recount many more highlights from the year than the lowlights. I think it's the weight of the hard and difficult and painful and heartbreaking times that make the days feel so sucky. The hurt is just so heavy and and when the burden is "that heavy," it is difficult for me to believe that there will be a better day and there is a big tendency to simply give in to the hurt because that is all I can feel.  It's during those times that I forget about all the sunshine in my life. This post is about THE SUNSHINE from 2014.

I am all about some sunshine. In fact, I've been told many times that I have SLAD (seasonal light affective disorder). It was said with some humor, but I'm sure there is some truth to it. I do need light to remain at normal functionality (normal for me that is).  Light keeps me in a good mood, gives me energy; I feel healthier and not so sluggish. I am more productive when there is bright light and sunshine. So it is these moments that infused me with happiness and energy and gave me the strength to carry on when carrying on was the last thing I wanted to do.

Here are my bright and shining moments from 2014...
(they are not listed from best to least or least to best--all of them are "the best")

1. SNOW! We finally got some snow in January. It seemed the whole country was getting snow except for us. Here in the Piedmont of NC, when we get snow it's a really big deal. The kids go crazy with excitement at the thought of a SNOW DAY and the adults race to the grocery stores for milk and bread because heaven forbid we not have milk or bread when we get that 3 inches of snow! I love it too. Let's be honest. It means I get a day off from teaching. It means I get to sleep in and enjoy a lazy day of nothing but TV watching or reading if I want. I get to stay in my pajamas all day. I usually make a big pot of chili. We make hot chocolate and if there is enough "good snow," I make Snow Creme which is my favorite winter delight. If you've never tasted Snow Creme, you are missing out big time. It's the best! 

2. MIAMI: I flew to Miami on March 29th and I spent a glorious week simply relaxing by the ocean, taking long walks and finding quite a bit of sea glass. I rented a car and drove all over South Florida on the hunt for new adventures, new experiences and fun places to visit. (read entire post here) This was the week of my Spring Break and the 2nd time I had been to Miami all by myself.  Miami has been a favorite place to visit and to explore all thanks to a good friend of mine who made it possible for me to be able to go and do. Thank you, Friend. :) 




3. A Real Life MARINE GRADUATION: My daughter was dating this fella named Marc at the time and in May, he completed Boot Camp Training at Parris Island. His graduation was Memorial Day weekend. I got to go to his graduation. It was amazing. I'm all about America. My blood is not just red, but it's red, white and blue. So to me, this was an honor to attend this graduation.  This was an incredible show of discipline, patriotism, respect, honor, and dedication. All these boys/men looked soooo good in their uniforms. (Side note: I love seeing a good looking man in uniform. My head and heart swoon all over the place.)  I have always appreciated our Armed Forces, but after seeing them in action and learning about all that these young men and women had to go through and endure just to get through Boot Camp, my admiration and respect quadrupled. Marc was top of his class. He was selected as "Guide" for the entire 13 weeks. He killed it. He is now a United States Marine-an incredible title that comes with great responsibility and sacrifice. Even though Marc and Katelyn are no longer together, he has my respect and gratitude. Thank you, Marc, and all our Service men and women for your selfless defense of our great country and people. I salute you. 
Marc is the one in the blue pants carrying his platoon's flag-#3034. The Guide is the only one with dress blues.
 It's a big honor. 

4. MY 34th HIGH SCHOOL REUNION: This happened June 19-22 at Rumbling Bald Resort in Lake Lure, NC.  This is a beautiful resort high up in the mountains. I mean way up there! School didn't get out until June 16 due to the high number of "snow days" we had last winter. I was beginning to get worried that I would have to get a sub for the last few days so that I could attend my reunion! The reunion had been planned for almost a year; the snow days were a surprise. ha  I went to high school in Asheville, North Carolina. The school at the time was a boarding school, Ben Lippen High School.  The student population was small. I had 37 people in my graduating class (1980). So for years now the classes of '79 and '80 have been getting together on a regular basis. Now we have people coming from '78-'82. We have a blast! These people are good people and some of my very best friends in all the world. We are more family than friends. I could go on and on about my high school days and friends and maybe I will in a separate post some day. Just know that this was a big sunshine moment in 2014! 


5. JULY 4th: This was by far one of the best July 4th weekends I've ever experienced. (see post)
 Katie invited me to go along with her family to Valle Crucis, NC to spend a couple of days in the mountains and stay with some family member's who own a house on Watauga Lake. I had never been to Watauga Lake and didn't even know it existed. It is a beautiful place, really beautiful. I just fell in love with the whole area when I was there. I met new people, saw new places, did new things and had the best time with all of it. The weather couldn't have been better and much of our time was spent on or near the water--a place that sings to my heart. This adventure came at just the right time for me. I had been having some rough days and this was the perfect medicine that I needed. Unexpected surprises came out of this weekend--all good stuff. 


6. LAKE TIME WITH MY PEEPS: July was a big month for 2014 as far as "Sunshiney Moments." Two weeks after the 4th, I drove down to SC to a friend's lake house. Fletcher and RC have a house at Goat Island, SC. The lake is Lake Marion. It is a HUGE lake!! HUGE! We've even spotted Gators there! It is a beautiful place. It's a great "meet you there" place. Several of my high school friends and I get together at least once during the summer somewhere. We've been a lot of places together... Pawley's Island, SC, Sunset Beach, NC, Fripp Island, SC, and even Las Vegas one year. However, the last two years we have gathered at Fletcher's lake house. We have a standing invitation anytime we want to come. It's the perfect gathering place. It's completely laid back, no frills, come as you are, do as you please type weekend. We take the boat out, anchor it at The Beach, have a cookout and chill in the water talking and listening to music. Sometimes we ride the jet ski. One meal is always a Low Country Boil (deeeelicious) and the now "must-have" breakfast Frittata. Fletcher makes it and it's killer! We all take turns cooking a meal. We all bring stuff, including alcohol. DE always brings The Goose and we have a healthy selection of wine and anything else you might want to drink. The kitchen turns into our own ABC store. There is no shortage of the necessities that's for sure! This is a mixed group of friends, male and female, and we've known each other for most of our lives. Again, I consider these people my family. We are all very close and we stick together like peanut butter and jelly. Loyalty and Love run high amongst this crowd. Any one of us throws up a red flag, all the others come running. We all feel very blessed to have one another.

"Special Punch"--good stuff
Fun Times! 

7. BEACH TIME: If you've been reading my blog at all, you know I am a BEACH GIRL. I LOVE the ocean, the sun, the sand, the sounds of the sea... it's all beautiful music to me! :) I can stay all day long on the beach soaking in sun rays, reading books, drinking cold drinks, writing letters, going for walks, and people watching. I love it. I went to the beach twice this summer. Once at the end of July with my son, Jacob, and one of his friends. We went to Fripp Island, SC (read about it here. I had a really bad accident--on a motor scooter.) The boys and I had a fun week together. Fripp Island is a nature/animal preserve so there are deer walking around freely all over the island. There are all sorts of birds and alligators. My 2nd beach trip was in August to Oak Island, NC (a big favorite) with my friend and another son, Jared. Unfortunately, it rained a lot this trip, but we had a great time anyway. Sadly, my friends who own the condo, sold it just a few weeks ago so I don't have an OKI hook up anymore. I will have to work on that! 



8. JACOB'S SKYDIVE: September 28th... HIS DAY-finally.  This child has been waiting for this day since he was 10 years old. He watched his older brother, John, skydive when he turned 18, and decided that is what he wanted to do for HIS 18th b'day. He waited 8 long years. Jacob turned 18 on March 28th but his skydive didn't happen until Sept. 28th, exactly 6 months later. (check it here) This was due to various reasons, mostly weather related. It was a sort of "quiet" event. Only his dad and I were present to witness this spectacle. I think I was just as excited as he was... I really wanted this to happen for Jacob. He had been extraordinarily patient with all of us and our schedules and the weather issues, etc... this was his wish for his birthday and it finally happened. He jumped out of that airplane like "no big deal. I do this everyday."  Crazy!  He loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat. I feel sure he will someday. Way to go, Jacob! You've got nerves of steel!! I am so very happy you got to do this skydive thing! 



9. CONCERTS: The last two summers have been epic as far as concert going. In August, I went to see Blake Shelton (again) in Charlotte.  I don't know why he chooses the hottest day of the entire year to be in North Carolina but he does. Last year was pretty darn hot but this year being in that outdoor arena was hotter than 40 hells. I'm not lyin'. It was CRAZY hot, but thankfully it was Blake and he was totally worth it. I went with some great friends-Dana, Joyce, Brown. We had a blast! Brown almost kicked some teenagers a$$, but hey, it's NC!  Then in November, Garth Brooks hits Greensboro with his World Tour! First time he's been back in 16 years. (I went to that concert-still my #1). I was out of town when the tickets went on sale, so I put Katelyn in charge of getting 8 tickets. The poor girl about had a stroke trying to get them. The first 2 shows sold out in 2 minutes!! Thank goodness Garth took pity on NC and scheduled an additional 3 shows. We got tickets for Thursday night (yes, I had to go to work the next day). The concert was amazing! Tricia Yearwood was there as well. We couldn't get 8 seats together so it was "4 and 4."  Katelyn, Brown, Katie and I sat in one section. Logan, Gough, Jennifer and her mother in another section. We sang the words to every song and partied like Rock Stars. Sooo much fun!! If you want to read a very funny post about this concert, please check out my daughter's blog. I was on the floor! She speaks the truth! :) 


Love me some Blake Shelton!
Me and My Girl... she finally gets to see Garth!! (I'm the Good Mom now) 
What other introduction does he need other than "g"? 
Waiting...
And here he is!!! Woohooo!!! 
Best Concert Ever!
10. GIRLS' CHRISTMAS GET TOGETHER: This is the 2nd year I've hosted a "Friends Get Together." The party was December 13th. It started with a desire to gather my girlfriends who supported me, were there for me, believed in me and kept me sane and functioning during the worst time of my life. (See last year's post here and HERE.) The guest list was the same with an addition of 2.   I have known the "additional 2 for years, but by some great Gift, we reconnected this year and now I can't imagine my life without them in it.) These people are my friends, my real friends--all sisters to me. There were about 15 of us. The theme for the party this year was, "Friends Bring Us Comfort and Joy."  Everyone was asked to bring their favorite comfort food to share. We had a great mix of delicious food and desserts. Three of my friends drove in from out of town... Asheville, Charlotte, and Mt. Pleasant, SC. I think as we get older (women in particular), we realize the importance of keeping our friendships alive and well. Honestly, friendships require great effort-- a lot of time, often time we simply don't think we have, but we forge ahead b/c we know without our friends, our lives would be void of all the things we need to survive in this life. I can wholeheartedly testify to this fact. The last 2 years have been my worst nightmare (and it continues), but these girls have rallied with me, fought with me, stood by my side on some of the darkest days, encouraged me to keep on keeping on, told me that there WILL BE brighter days, there WILL BE good coming my way, cried with me, prayed for me and with me; they have allowed me those times of "wallow" and that terrifying "black abyss"--but not for long. We go places. We do things together. We laugh until we cry. We make fun of people (it's called "people watching" and we are really good at it) and at times we party like Rock Stars. We have fun in the midst of some rough waters. I need that in my life. Who of us doesn't? 


My girls, Fletcher and Joyce (friends since 8 and 13 years old) 
G and B
This is only part of the Spread
love them all

obviously no shortage of grape juice

11. NEW YEAR'S EVE: After having sat alone in my house on Christmas day and having a complete breakdown, I decided that could never happen again. So with the upcoming holiday (New Year's Eve), I knew I needed to make plans. I haven't been out on New Year's Eve in like a million years. I usually stay home and watch Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve Special on ABC and ring in the new year with the crystal ball dropping from Times Square. Incidentally, watching the "ball drop" has been a tradition since I was a little girl. My grandfather and I would stay up and watch it together every year. My grandmother always went to bed hours before midnight. Even when I got married and moved away, I called Pop at the stroke of midnight to wish him a Happy New Year--right after the ball dropped. :) That time with him is one of my fondest childhood memories. Sooo anyway, plans were made to go out to dinner and then to Ziggy's (a local nightclub) to ring in the New Year listening to The Plaids (a local band). There were 5 of us... L, G, B, G's new man, and myself. We had a blast! First of all, how can the night be bad when there's dancing involved? Secondly, how can the night be bad when there's a live band playing some 80's Rock and Roll? AND I knew the drummer! How fun is that! Plus, balloons filled with confetti and glitter and cash dropped from the ceiling at midnight! I found some of that glitter still stuck to me the next day, not to mention it was all in my hair. Pretty funny! There were a few awkward moments involving a Creeper. It was standing room only and we were all pretty much "stuck together" on the dance floor. I'm just dancing and having a good time with my Peeps when I notice this guy had come up behind me (I couldn't help but notice b/c I felt a body plastered up against me) I thought "no big deal" because there's no room up in here, but he didn't move. So I moved over. He did too. The girls and I are making faces at this point. I just keep dancing b/c that's what I like to do then I feel his hand start sliding up my side. Oh, H--- No! It's time for intervention! The Peeps grab my arm and pull me back towards them and the 5 of us start a group dance! haha  That's what friends do for friends. Creeper showed back up later on, but at that point he had already lost. I had on my Boogie Shoes. Don't bother me. I was home by 2:30am. B is always our DD and we are so thankful for her willingness to drive. She deserves a really shiny jewel in her crown just for this! The evening was just what I needed and it was a great way to end 2014. 





So there you have it... my top Sunny moments of 2014. Like I said before, this year may have been horrific in a lot of ways, but there was so much good, a lot of happy and some amazing memories to file away and bring back whenever I need some additional Sunshine in my days. The fact that I am still writing this blog is pretty incredible to me. It's been a year and 4 months since I started it. This is my journey and you, the reader, are a part of it too. Thank you for reading what I write. It really does make me smile knowing there are people sharing this with me. 

Here's to a New Chapter in the Book of Life! What opportunities and experiences and adventures await? I am looking forward to finding out. 

Cheers to 2015!! Let's get this party started!! 

D~





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"O, God, Thy Sea is so great and my boat is so small"

Another Would Have Been Anniversary

How Did You?