July 4th and Watauga Lake

Ok, it's time I get to talking about my July 4th weekend.  (week, really)

This was one of the highlights of my summer, and I'm thinking one of the highlights of my year thus far. It was really good, People.

The beginning of the week, I drove to Asheville and spent 3 wonderful days in a sweet little cottage on my old high school campus. It's now called Crest Mountain... here's the link...http://www.palmhill.com/portfolio/crest-mountain/  The pretty little cottage is in a neighborhood called "The Villages."  A good friend of mine owns the house. We actually went to high school together back in the day. This is one of my favorite places to go for rest and relaxation. I just love it there. I stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed every minute of it.

While in Asheville, I was invited to another celebration, Katie's mother's birthday cookout dinner. This was on Thursday evening. Katie's mother is like my mother too. Again, Katie and I have known each other since we were 15 years old, so her family is like my own.  It was a fun evening spent with friends and neighbors and some very good food. Summertime always yields the best food... homegrown tomatoes, fresh corn on the cob, green beans, peaches, sweet tea... It was a nice feeling to be included in this event.

Friday, I met Katie and family and we headed up the mountain (further up a mountain) to Valle Crucis, NC.  We were going to spend the weekend with John and Faye, Charlie's aunt and uncle (Charlie is Katie's husband). They have a beautiful home on Watauga Lake complete with pontoon boat, regular boat and a jet ski for our weekend pleasure. Fun was definitely on the horizon!  I couldn't wait!!

Before going to the lake house, we stopped in Valle Crucis and walked around The Mast General Store.  First of all, if you have never been to Valle Crucis, you must go. It is a beautiful little mountain town full of character and charm and some of the most gorgeous mountain scenery you will ever see.


Secondly, if you've never been to a Mast General Store, you must go!! There are currently 11 stores... NC, SC, TN. In the Spring of 2015, Winston-Salem will be getting our own Mast Store. Pretty exciting stuff around these parts. These stores are kind of a throw back to the "old timey" stores of long ago. Really fun to walk around and look at all the old stuff. The Candy Barrel is a definite favorite of the kids and adults too. All the candies we used to love when we were growing up are right there in huge barrels!!
Back side of the Mast General Store
This is a literal working post office inside the original Mast Store in Valle Crucis

After a bit of sight seeing, we went to Valle Crucis Park for a July 4th picnic and an outdoor concert.
 It was a beautiful night... even a bit cool. We met John and Faye and some other family members at the park and we enjoyed good food, good music, and good wine. We left the park around 8:30pm and drove to the lake house. It was about a 20 minute drive on winding roads, but once we got to the lake we were treated to the most beautiful sunset! I just stood and stared out at the mountains and the lake and this glorious sunset that God blessed us with upon our arrival. Truly a masterpiece! I must get back here someday!! One of the most beautiful places I've ever been, and I've been to a lot of places!

Once it got really dark, people started shooting off fireworks. We watched from the street. They weren't super fabulous fireworks, but they were fireworks nonetheless. It was after all, July 4th! :)
Saturday we had a delicious breakfast of homemade blueberry and pecan pancakes. We enjoyed a very relaxing morning talking and sipping coffee.  Around 11:30 we headed for the dock, the boats, the water, sunshine... play time at last! I was really looking forward to a boat ride around this beautiful lake. The weather was perfect. A glorious warm sunny day.

Just look at this! Spectacular!

Mountains are just right there!!
Don't you wanna just jump right in?! :)
We boated over to this little restaurant at the Marina. It is called Tank's Grill. We pulled the boat right up to the side, ordered our lunch of cheeseburgers, fries and milkshakes, and stayed on the boat to eat our meal. It was fun.
That spot straight ahead is where we parked the boat and enjoyed our lunch.

After jet skiing and boating and swimming in the lake, the girls went in to get ready for our evening. We were having dinner at Watauga Lake Winery and a musical treat by Wayne Henderson. Wayne Henderson is a legend in the music world. (click on the link to read more about him) He is an amazing guitarist and more. It was an enjoyable night and another new experience. We got up very early Sunday morning and everyone headed back to their respective homes. This was such a fun weekend. The best time I've had in a very long time. I'm thankful John and Faye included me and I'm thankful Katie invited me. I needed *this*... this time of good company and lake time... being on a boat, swimming in the water, being with people I love and meeting new people that I can now call my friends, taking in the amazing scenery and realizing that every moment of life is meant to be lived. This may not have been the typical July 4th that I used to spend at a lake in WV zooming across the water with my own family, but it was an incredible July 4th spent with people I am fortunate enough to call family.

This weekend will definitely be one of the "Top Ten" of 2014!!

'Merica!
Let Freedom Ring!!
D~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"O, God, Thy Sea is so great and my boat is so small"

Another Would Have Been Anniversary

How Did You?