Seat #7 Had My Name On It

Believe it or not, actual mail still is delivered to our mailboxes. It typically isn't anything exciting; it's more bills and ads and coupons of late, but I still look forward to going to my mailbox in hopes of "something more." Several weeks ago I received the "dreaded jury summons."  Who of you can't tell me that when you see that letter you don't let out a loud groan or a heavy sigh? Yep, I do too. It seems like I get these things all the time. I'm a regular, meaning "they" don't miss one opportunity to send me my summons. It doesn't matter where I live; they find me!

This piece of mail is not what I'm meaning when I say I look forward to "something more." I have received many jury summons since turning 18 and I have gotten out of quite a few of them.  I was in school, or I had babies who nursed and I couldn't leave them for a lengthy period of time, my job, etc... I was fortunate in that the "judge" released me from duty every time I asked to be excused.  Well, this time, I just took my chances.  I should've known this would be "it." When the summons arrived, I opened it and promptly stuck it on the side of the refrigerator. Out of sight out of mind. The number on the summons was #115 and it's kind of like Russian Roulette. They spin whatever wheel they spin and it's the luck of the wheel so to speak. I did think, "Crap. 115 is a pretty low number. I'm gonna get hit this time." Well, I completely forgot about that summons and nearly missed the date to call in and find out if I had to go to the court house. Luckily, I saw it on the fridge the day before "call in day" and had to write myself a note and tape it to the microwave so I wouldn't forget to call "after 5." I called. I got hit. I had to show up by 8:00am on Sept. 9.

This of course put me into a tail spin as far as school is concerned. I had to quickly find a sub. I had to figure out lesson plans for the next day (b/c I only thought I would be gone from work for a day). Yeah, I know, many of you teacher people have your plans already made out for an entire week or more, but this girl, is a procrastinator b/c there is always always something better to do than lesson plans. :) It does stress me out at times, but the fun of "the something better" always draws me in like bees to honey. So, I pay the price. I did find a sub and I eventually got the plans done around midnight. I put them out by my back door so my teacher assistant could stop by and pick them up on her way to work. Whew. Got that done.

I was at our Hall of Justice by 8:15am and the line into the building was still unbelievably long. I was a potential juror so I got to go to the front of the line (thank goodness). We had to go through security because it is a Federal building and that's the norm these days. The waiting room was completely full of "would be jurors." We waited for our instructions, watched a video of what it means to be a juror and then the entire room of people was sworn in to promise to do our civic duty to the best of our ability.  There were three people in this room full of people whom I knew! One of them, pretty well. We were told to "sit tight" and if we were selected to go to a court room, they would call our names. About 9:30, they started calling people. "We will be calling 30 of you to go to court room such and such. You will wait there to see if you will be called to be a potential juror." Guess what? My name was called and so were two of the people I know! Sweet!  We filed into the court room and the process began. The judge introduced himself and told us how things were going to work, etc... Then he instructs Madame Clerk to call out names for the 12 seats. At this point, my friend and I were holding our breath. This was not something I wanted to do! Half the jury had been called...only 6 more to go and I would be home free. It wasn't to be. Madame Clerk says, "Seat #7: Dawn Garlow."  DANG! Off I go to be shown to my seat by Mr. Sheriff Guy. The 12 seats are named and the jury interviews begin. By the way, the other two people that I knew, also got called to sit in one of the 12 seats! No kidding! At least this was going to be fun!! :)  Let me tell you, the process of choosing 12 people who are "acceptable" to both sides is LENGTHY!! You think you're getting close to the end and then you hear, "Your honor, we would like to thank Juror #9 and #1 for their service to this point, but we will be excusing them." And then two more people are called up and the process starts completely over. Half the day had passed before 12 people were finally selected.

The case being presented was State vs. Defendant. Charges: Possession with intent to sell and deliver marijuana. Possession of drug paraphernalia. Possession of cocaine. You guessed it. We had to come back for Day 2 on Wednesday.  Another phone call to my principal. I need a sub again. Hopefully this would be the last day. We listened to a day and a half of testimony on behalf of the State. Evidence was presented and we got up close and personal with all of it. Opening statements from both lawyers. Closing arguments from both lawyers. No witnesses for the defendant and he didn't testify for himself. All Mr. X had was his lawyer. It was all said and done by 3:00 pm on Sept. 10th. The 12 of us were sent to the deliberation room to come to a unanimous decision on all three charges. The judge told us that "unanimous" was the only acceptable verdict. Every verdict had to be "12-0."

Once in the deliberation room, our first assignment was to choose a foreman or forewoman. The question was posed, "Does anyone want to volunteer?" I spoke up. Yes, I did. I wanted to do it. I wanted to get out of my comfort box and do this. Everyone agreed and was glad I spoke up.  I read the first charge and it was not unanimous. Discussions started. We were all given copies of the "laws" to follow in this case. I found what was relevant and read it out loud to the group. We continued our discussions. After about 1 hour and 45 minutes, we came to unanimous decisions on all three counts. We found him "guilty" on the marijuana and drug paraphernalia charges and "not guilty" on the cocaine charge. We paged our Sheriff Guy and soon after we were led back to the jury box. The judge asked me if we had come to a decision.  I replied, "Yes sir, Your Honor." I then handed the envelope with the verdicts to our Sheriff. He handed them to the Judge. The Judge handed them to Madame Clerk. She then read the decisions. It was done. Sentencing would not be until the following morning. The Judge told us we could come back, but we were not required to be there and would not be paid. I knew I wouldn't be going back and I doubt anyone else did either. I would like to know what the guy got as far as his judgment. His Honor thanked us for our service and he came down from his stand to shake our hands. And just like that, it was over. We were done.

It really was quite the experience. I am very glad I did it. I am thankful for a judicial system that is more democratic than any other country in the world. It is a system based on "innocent until proven guilty." At times I think it should be more "guilty until proven innocent, " but I now see how decisions are reached. It's a crazy big responsibility to be a juror. You are an active part of deciding the fate of another human being. It's sobering really. What if I were in the hot seat and 12 people were deciding my fate? Or perhaps one of my children or another family member or one of my friends, or someone I knew? I would want someone in the jury room fighting for me or those I care about. I believe that all American citizens should serve on a jury at some point in their lives. It's definitely eye opening. I hope that each of my children one day serve on a jury panel. If you know me at all, you know I bleed "red, white and blue." I am proud to be an American, not because of anything that went on in that court room or the process (whether it worked or not), or the fact that I was a juror. I am blessed to live in America. It is the land that I love. We are people living in the land of the free and home of the brave. We should not take this privilege lightly. I am counting my blessings and being grateful for my freedom.

Off the hook for the next two years!!
D~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"O, God, Thy Sea is so great and my boat is so small"

Another Would Have Been Anniversary

How Did You?