How I Met My Brother

A couple of weeks ago I shared that I would be meeting my brother (one of 3) for the first time EVER! His name is John and he is #2 in the line up of us four children. I met my other two brothers 10 years ago, but for whatever reason, I was not able to connect with John. Well, the long awaited and anticipated day was yesterday in Lexington, Kentucky. It was not full of fan fare or hoopla or anything spectacular. We met in the hotel lobby. The hotel where friends and family of the bride and groom are staying this weekend.

I arrived at the hotel about 10 minutes before my two brothers. I was standing near the registration desk when the two of them walked in. It was one of those moments that will be forever etched in my memory. The way the two of them looked; the way "new" brother just kind of sauntered in with his cool sunglasses on and white hair defining his looks.  I gave Ray a hug and turned to the other one, kind of wondering what to do... do I just hug him or what? I decided to just go in for the kill and hug away. I said, "You must be John", and we hugged each other and then all three of us began talking like it was a normal every day occurrence to just have met your siblings for the first time in your lives. Honestly, I couldn't stop looking at him. I mean, I didn't just stare at him or anything, but when he wasn't looking, I looked at him and smiled. I had a million thoughts running through my head. What would my childhood have been like with these wonderful boys. I also thought about all that the three of us, four us, have missed out on. A lifetime really. BUT, here we are now and we are together.

We couldn't check into our rooms b/c the computer system was down (BIG FAIL, Hotel!). We had two hours in the lobby to visit, but we couldn't really visit. Later, I met the 2 boys in the lobby and the 3 of us drove to the rehearsal dinner together. We all sat together and laughed and talked and shared memories. We relished the moment. It was wonderful. After the dinner, we came back to the hotel and walked over to a bar across the street for a drink and John and I sat next to each other and we got to talk  over the music and the bar noise and it was good. I love my new brother. He is a part of me. We are a part of each other. My heart is full knowing I am connected to others in this blood relation kind of way.

I am so looking forward to the next couple of days with these Yahoos. We are here together celebrating the wedding of Ray's son, Greg. I get to see and be with two nephews and a brand new great nephew, Ray IV.  I'm meeting family.  I feel blessed. We are making memories now and hopefully for many years to come. So we missed out on the first 50 years of our lives...

Here's to the next 50... in living color!!

D~

Comments

  1. yay for meeting brothers! ps this font is REALLY hard to read. and that is coming from a 24 year old with sharp eyes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"O, God, Thy Sea is so great and my boat is so small"

Another Would Have Been Anniversary

How Did You?